Friday, November 16, 2012

A Day in the Life: Siena

I didn't want to post this until we'd left Siena, because who knows what crazed lunatic could be reading my blog, just waiting to find out my usual route to school so he could abduct me and my roommate and kill us... So, I am posting this when I am safely out of Siena (to any crazies out there: HA. Joke's on you, I'm already gone). Anyway, I am a big fan of record keeping - right now I have my regular journal, a smash book, a page-a-day journal, this blog, and a sketch book. I have developed a sort of obsessive need to preserve myself so that when I am gone, my posterity will know who I was... Okay, this blog post has gotten off to a much more morbid start than I intended.
Anyway, I have loved living in Siena so much. I have learned so much, and I am so grateful for the time I spent here and all the people I have met. I am going to have some amazing memories of this place, but sometimes my brain is lame and forgets important stuff. So I decided to go around and take pictures of all the everyday things I have gotten used to seeing and have somehow become ordinary. And believe me when I say that the following collage contains a fraction of a fraction of the pictures I took. Like, a fraction.





1. This is the desk I like to sit at in the student room at my school. I do lots of homework and internet-ing here.
2. The Duomo! Isn't it pretty? I've been here like a million times. The marble floors are only uncovered every once in a while, and we were lucky enough to be here while they were visible.
3. San Domenico - we come on field trips here a lot for Humanities 201. Inside is the strangest mish-mash of random art I have ever seen, but that makes it kind of cute.
4. THE CHRISTMAS STORE. I have no idea what it is for the other 10 months a year, but one day this store just popped up on my walk to school.
5. Just a pretty view from my walk to school.
6. This is a wall in the student room at my school. It's a picture of all the different contradas in Siena (such as unicorn, goose, etc.).
7. The Campo! We pass this on our way to school, and we come here to sit and chit-chat all the time. I like how everyone just sits on the ground and hangs out. I wish we had places like this at home!
8. La Bottega next to our school, where I buy lunch a lot.
9. Another piazza we pass on our walk to school every day. It looks really cool lit up at night!
10. This is my typical breakfast setting. Elephant placemat, mug with a 3 on it (I have no idea why - Katie's has a 6 on it). Every morning we are fed yogurt with cereal in it, fruit, milk with nesquick, and either a pastry or another carb (the last part is optional).
11. The laundromat where we (occasionally) do laundry. It's a little more ghetto than other laundromats we've found, but it's cheaper. And that's what really counts.
12. The creepy little sad boy picture that stares at me as I sit on my bed.
13. The window in which we check ourselves out each morning on our way to school. Yes, we are wearing the same cardigan.
14. The Campo, this time at night. Hands down my favorite place in Siena.
15. The Tartuca fountain on the street to our school. Each contrada has a fountain, and we aren't really sure if the water from this one is potable or not, but we drink it anyway... We call it turtle water.
16. Pretty red Vespa. *sigh*
17. PIGEONS, Y U NO LIVE IN ALASKA??

This is my beautiful Siena, that I will remember and miss forever. Don't get me wrong, I love America - the land of the free, the home of the abundant public bathrooms. It'll be great to be home in a few days. But this has been an amazing semester, and Siena will always have a special place in my heart. Forza Siena!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you're recording all of your adventures - it will be priceless to you someday. Can't wait to see all of the other pictures in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ANNE! I just read this and we had an awesome life. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete